Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Fun with food

We have now entered the stage of trying real food. Gone are the days of just milk but despite giving Aria tasters the past few weeks, she hasn't been at all interested. Quite early on I decided I wanted to do Baby Led Weaning (BLW) because it made the most sense to me. But I'm still waiting on my BLW book by Gill Rapley to arrive and until it does and I've had a good read, I am too paranoid to give her anything she can choke on. So for now I've been trying different purees. 

Until today Aria has pulled some pretty unimpressed expressions when I've given her a taste. Followed by poking out her tongue (a sign she wasn't actually quite ready yet) so I waited a few more days and tried again with a different flavour. But today she dived right into an apple, pear and banana combination. She loved it! She kept opening her mouth for more and managed to eat about 2 tablespoons! She would have had more if I had let her but that seemed like plenty (possibly a bit too much actually) for her first proper meal. She was so eager in fact that she kept pulling the spoon towards her mouth and missing, leaving us with a very messy face.

15.7.2014

Side note: When I was pregnant I had these grand ideas of making my own healthy puree for Aria, frozen in ice cube trays and stored in the freezer ready to reheat. It would taste delicious and it would be easy and quick to make. Now that I'm here at that stage I haven't given her anything home made...yet. I've been buying different flavours of baby food from the supermarket. And you know what? That's ok. There is so much pressure amongst mums these days to give organic, home made foods that you feel like a failure if you go for the jarred stuff. Let me make this clear...there is absolutely nothing wrong with jarred baby food. Nothing. And for us at this stage, it just makes sense. When we progress to BLW then she will be eating food I make at home but until then, jarred it is.

What were your babies favourite foods when they started?

Rhiannon xx

No comments:

Post a Comment